Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday audition class...

Everything remains the same, like in the song "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay," and I can't find a job.  They tell me I need more experience, but I know it's because I will never fit in the mold.  I should have been an artist, and I am really enjoying writing this blog.  When I went to the local bookstore after my interview to browse through dog magazines, I noticed something called "Writer's Digest" and thought, I wish I could follow the "thread" as one dance teacher put it, and get a job doing something I would enjoy, like maybe working in the gym.  Still, life is full of compromise, so I continue to try to fit into the structure...

Class this morning was another "audition" and there were a lot of young dancers.  Notable among these was a blonde wearing black who did strong, fast turns in one combination that I struggled with in terms of sense of direction.  It was all great fun to "compete" with these young dancers.

Yasir is starting to fill in his hoody, although he has been bouncing around and barking today because the weather is so rainy and cold that we didn't have much of a romp.  I think it's time to show a little "tough love" as the trainer said before.  After all, he is a working dog and his baby days are ending and he will become "headstrong" if I don't act like Caesar Milan.  I mean, I need to be firm.  He is very trainable but bites my hands and barks and I become exasperated and so I must just stop myself and be calm and carry on, as the popular saying goes.

Tomorrow will be more relaxing now that the much anticipated interview is over.  Next time I am thinking of faking it, like a college counselor of mine even said.  Who will really check and what do I have to lose?  So, I need to polish my image, or as I call it, faking it, although it's not really; it's just putting myself in a more "professional" light.

I long to find my real self, though.  In class today, I realized that dancers have to be human, as another good teacher who was in the Alvin Ailey company told me.  It's not just technique and pretty poses.  It's how you feel and not being afraid to show your humanity.  Another thought, all the gym training makes me realize how the body needs to be upfront and everything is forward, so that good dancers in my eyes are like extroverts who are uninhibited.  As another teacher said, don't be shy.  So, chest up, hips forward, stand up tall, be proud of who you are.

Class (Classic barre):
1. Run to center, passe releves, step forced arch, demi-plie, releve developpe arabesque...
2. Tendu croise combination with arms; reverse...
3. Waltz in lines, pique arabesque faille, detourne, inside pirouette...
4. Glissade assemble, faille, chasse pas de bourre grand jete...
I found it a challenge to move with so many dancers and the class was so big we could not experiment as we did in a more intimate group; however, this should happen in a big group, too.  No need to get lost in the shuffle...

No comments:

Post a Comment