Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day...

and I did not dance...no joke.  I have been feeling very sore lately, I think because of this chilly, wet weather and it is making me lazy, so I just went for a swim and then yoga, but I try to work out a little every day, and missing dance today makes me realize how much I identify with myself as a ballerina...

There will be puppy school tomorrow and I have other matters to settle, so it is nice to have some time "off" and just chill.  Nothing better than a hot computer on a cold day.  Also, a warm puppy...

So in yoga class at the gym the teacher was twisting her leg into her side like it would break off and I asked her how she does this and she said it was all in the hip flexors.  So I asked her how to get more flexible hips and she said it takes more practice.  I don't know, because I know from dance experience that if you overuse your hips it can lead to surgery eventually, but maybe it's all in how you do it, as an old dance teacher used to say.

I think tomorrow I will try to go downstairs to the basement gym and try to do my own class, although I don't have the discipline, but then, I remember a yoga class long ago where the teacher never showed up and a young Indian girl did her own class and I asked her how she got up the will to do it, and she said it was a way of life at home, so it must be for a dancer, I thought.

It is a hard life being in shape with all the emotional baggage we all carry, I think.  I had an interesting conversation with a girl in yoga class and we talked about how women have all these hormones that affect us so much so it is hard to shut off the mind sometimes, as the yogis tell us we should do.  I think it becomes a matter of finding an inner stillness through prayer and just letting go of yourself and your ego, really.  So, I will let you know how my self-class turns out tomorrow... look on the bright side, though ... the warm weather will come and lift everybody's spirits ...

No comments:

Post a Comment